CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
“Cultivating Media Independence Initiative Activity in the Kyrgyz Republic” (Media-K) Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan Deadline: December 22, 2017, 16:00 Open to: Media outlets from the Kyrgyz Republic
Internews invites private and public media outlets and online newsrooms from Kyrgyzstan to apply for comprehensive support to strengthen the viability of their media businesses.
Activities will be held within the framework of the Media-K project funded by USAID in cooperation with FHI360. Within the project, Internews will support partners to make effective use of audience research, draft and implement strategic development plans, and produce digital content and innovative coverage formats that will promote civic engagement and access to balanced information.
Five key partner media outlets will be selected in an open competition for an initial one-year partnership, with the possibility of extension based on demonstrated progress and results, as evaluated through annual milestone assessments conducted by Internews staff and consultants as well as ongoing monitoring. Selected media outlets will receive co-funding from Internews to implement their own strategic development plans. Internews’ contributions to these plans could include business, online media, and content production advice and training; co-funding for equipment purchases; and/or co-funding for the production of engaging content and data driven stories.
Within the framework of this project, in the first one-year period, project participants will receive support to work in the following areas:
- Internews will provide audience viewership data (M-Vector, Wave 8) for the five Key Partners. This media research will provide the baseline for partner media outlets against which progress will be assessed;
- Implementation of measures to increase advertising revenues (tailored guidance and consultative support for joining ad networks, introducing or expanding use of native advertising, developing and pricing attractive ad/sponsorship packages, using viewership data and audience analytics to showcase value and tailor pitches to potential advertisers, conducting effective outreach to local businesses, etc.).
- Providing training to improve the quality and quantity of digital content produced by Key Partners for various platforms;
- Mentoring on legal issues, business processes, and how to develop convergent content; and
- Co-funding for software and equipment purchases for convergent production, optimization of working and editing processes.
Year One Budget Per Partner: from USD 25,000 to 50,000
Applicants must be locally registered private or public media organizations in Kyrgyzstan. Kyrgyz and Russian-language outlets and media working across any type of platform (TV, radio, print, and/or Internet) are eligible.
Key Partners will be selected based on the criteria below:
Vision and standards
- Clear vision for future development as demonstrated in Strategic Development Plan for 2018-2020, which indicates areas of support from Media-K, Action Plan and Budget (including own funds for implementation of Plan) for 2018, and programming schedule for TV if applicable;
- Independent editorial policy;
- Demonstrated commitment to maintaining professional journalistic standards and ethics (based on samples of related work);
Human and professional capacity
- Professional and completely structured team
- Consistently meeting or exceeding local journalistic standards of ethics, professionalism, and production values;
- Willingness to invest in the development and production of high-quality digital content (based on letter of commitment and allocation of funds in the budget for the Strategic Development Plan);
- Motivation for active capacity development in areas such as business management, marketing and sales, and audience research;
- Diversity among the staff (employment of persons with disabilities, persons belonging to minorities);
- Openness to innovation, as demonstrated by draft Strategic Development Plan;
- Ability to allocate time and physical resources for long-term consultants; and
- Existing audience share and/or strategy for targeting specific audience segments;
Financial and technical capacity
- Strong potential in equipment, finance, and management: media outlets that demonstrate they are/can be competitive and financially sustainable based on package of financial documents for past three years (financial statement (balance report, capital structure report, profit and loss statement), audit report if applicable, grant history if applicable, amount of produced and purchased content in items and budget figures, inventory list of available equipment and software);
- Willingness to make own contribution equal to 20 to 50% of the grant amount;
- Online and SMM presence;
- Media outlets that have multiple platforms and/or that create multimedia publications;
- Opportunities for convergent media content production;
- Completed Application Form;
- Draft Strategic Development Plan for the media outlet for 2018-2020, outlining the goals of the outlet within this project, including human and other resources allocated for the project as well as the amount and the structure of their own contribution to the project;
- Action Plan for 2018 and Project Budget (form attached)
- Programming schedule for TV if applicable
- Company’s registration documents with the Kyrgyz authorities (certificate of registration at Ministry of Justice, permission to broadcast from Department of Information);
- Portfolio of key recent work;
- CVs of key personnel;
- Package of financial documents for the past three years (financial statement (balance report, capital structure report, profit and loss statement), audit report if applicable);
- Grant history, if applicable;
- Amount of content produced and purchased in items and budget figures for 2017;
- Inventory of available equipment and software;
- Contacts of references, past and current partners.
Application Submission Instructions
All required documents and attachments must be downloaded KG-Info@internews.org marked "Organizational Assessment" by 17.00, December 26, 2017.
All interested outlets should download their application and required documents to Google drive with open access to Internews. Link to folder with all documents should be sent to the following email address: email@example.com with “MEDIA-K KEY PARTNER SUPPORT” in the subject line, by December 22, 2017, at 16:00.
For additional information, please, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or+996 312 986 880.