The project “Cultivating Media Independence Initiative” known as Media-K, the three-year project (2017-2020) focuses on the development of independent media in Kyrgyzstan.
In July 2020, the project was extended for two years until September 30, 2022.
Since October 2017 the project has been implementing in partnership with FHI360 and supported by assistance from the US Agency for international development (USAID).
The project is focused on improving citizens’ access to diverse and balanced information that helps people make informed decisions and reflects the public interest.
Media-K seeks to enhance the professionalism and independence of media in the Kyrgyz Republic.
Internews in Kyrgyzstan:
- provides institutional support to selected key partners on a competitive basis, encouraging the production of their own products, the placement of more attractive multimedia content to increase advertising revenues. Consulting on business practices and the audience research use contributes to partner’s sustainability on the media market.
- awards grants to produce high-quality digital content and innovative formats creation that respond to audience demands and increase access to diverse and balanced information
- award annual scholarships on data journalism;
- in partnership with the private sector to introduce a people-meter audience measurement system — people meter
- host the annual «Media Toptoo» Industrial forum to bring together professionals from the independent media outlets and Internet-based information agencies.
- Internews host the annual Media Award STREMLENIE – Aspiration, a prize for significant professional achievements among national media journalists.
Center of family rehabilitation “Alternative” under protecting rights organization “Bir duino – Kyrgyzstan” organized one week rehabilitation program on Issyk-Kul for 25 children having problems with law and family....