Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Program Fall 2019 Application
The Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Program brings journalists from across Central Asia to the United States for individual residencies designed to increase professional standards, increase the credibility and accuracy of participants’ reporting, and bolster independent media in Central Asia.
Journalists-in-Residence participate in intensive month-long exchanges at American media organizations and journalism training at local universities. Through these residencies, Journalists-in-Residence explore the structure and operations of American media outlets and strengthen their understanding of disinformation and source verification.
This initiative aims to develop a cross-regional network of Central Asian independent journalists and media organizations. Journalists-in-Residence participate as part of a small cohort, collaborating during their time in the U.S. and upon their return to Central Asia continue to engage with a broader network of regional journalists, including through the GOViral network.
The Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Program is part of the Central Asia Journalism Program funded by the U.S. Department of State and implemented by Meridian International Center.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Citizen, national, or resident of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan
- At least one year of relevant work experience
- Relevant experience and recent work in the field
- Leadership and commitment to career growth, positive attitude, and initiative
- Commitment to develop a network of Central Asian independent journalist and media outlets
- Strong English language skills
Applications must be submitted online. As part of the online application, applicants are required to submit the following in English:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Signed letter of recommendation from a current or former supervisor
- Three (3) examples of recent work
- Click on the “Create an account or login” button on the top part of the page.
- Under the New User section, please create a username and password and put your email address.
- Once you have created an account, begin to fill out the form.
- Whenever you want to save your progress, click on the “Save Progress” button at the bottom of each page on the form.
- To re-access the form, follow the original application link and make sure you sign into your account. Once you sign in, you will be able to access your saved application.